My Asthma History

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Back in the Green Zone Again

Well, sorry for the delayed update, but the good news is.....I'm finally OVER the flare and cold and back in the green zone at 88%...haven't seen that peak flow in a good month or so. Off all prednisone and back down to my maintainance medicine requirements...yippee! I'm glad to be breathing easier, and NOT coughing all of the time. I know my husband is glad I'm not coughing all of the time and feeling better. Over the last several years he has gotten a crash course in dealing with a severe asthmatic and in reading me better. I can be a very stubborn asthmatic sometimes! I'm one of those poor perceivers, but doing my peak flow several times a day has helped me out tremendously.

I've got the stories from college that scared my roomates have to death, although I didn't know it until afterwards, when they told me. I was that asthmatic that slept with their inhaler by their pillow, never left home without it...because I didn't take my maintenance meds like I should have and thought they didn't work on me...go figure! Now that I have a child and understand the stressors, I can't imagine what my Mom felt when I was away at college and she could audibly hear me wheezing on the other end of the phone and then asking me "did you take your meds"...to which my answer sometimes was "yes, I think so"...obviously NOT. It took me a severe asthma attack during Christmas break and having doctors get in my face and lecture me about the consequences of not taking care of my asthma, which had landed me in that state, before I took it seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment