My Asthma History

Friday, April 30, 2010

Having another Flare

Just got back from my pulmo and my asthma's flaring up a little from weather (allergens) and minor viral repiratory illness. So, I'm back on prednisone (40 mg taper to 10 over a week) to keep my peak flows from nose diving too much. They've been down in the 60% range and having to take neb treatments to keep them up into the 70% range; but last night and this morning neb treatments weren't popping my numbers up enough, so he's being aggressive and giving me the prednisone. It's pretty much the way I have to be treated when having flare's. My asthma doesn't seem to respond to just added nebs or upping my symbicort. I for whatever reason don't wheeze that much (although I did a lot as a kid), mine is more of chest tightness, short of breath, a TON of tight coughing and sometimes difficulty speaking. My doc is super great...I can get into him really quickly if needed (like today) and he's really aggressive in treating me...we've been down the "not treated aggressively" route times before only for me to end up in the local ER over the weekends or back in his office sicker than before. So he knows now how to handle me. It's great to have a good patient relationship with a doctor!! Anybody else feel the same way??

No comments:

Post a Comment