My Asthma History

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Nebulizer dilemma??

Hi fellow asthmatics and asthma parents...ok, which nebuilizer do you find works best? My current compressor nebulizer is about 20 years old...yes, it still works, but it is rather large, noisy and just not very practical for me a 30 something Mom of a 2 almost 3 year old. I did break down and buy the Omron MicroAir Mesh type of nebuilizer, but it just takes WAY too long to take a treatment...around 30 min....I don't have 30 minutes to be attached to this thing. I love that it is extremely quiet, lightweight and very portable. I can throw it in my bag and go....but the con of taking 30 min to take a treatment is making me not use it anymore. So, my next step is to get another compressor style nebulizer. I need one that is extremely portable, fast treatment times (10 min or less), quiet and small, some sort of rechargeable battery would be fantastic. It's hard to get everything done as a Mom when you are attached to tubing next to your plug in nebuilizer, my daughter KNOWS this and tries to make the most of it when "Mommy's attached to her medicine". There are a lot out there and if any of ya'll have found one you like, love, or hate, please let me know your thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. I got the PARI Trek S compressor on recommendation from a friend (of course, I can't tell you how things are going with it, as I don't HAVE it yet), which came with two PARI LC Sprint reusable nebulizers, which are apparently good and fast, on Steve's recommendation. I think he Sprint webpage says it takes 5-6 minutes for a unit dose. The Trek compressor itself is about the size of a portable cassette player, and has the option to buy a rechargable battery with.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the Respironics Micro Elite portable nebulizer with the DC car adaptor, rechargeable battery, and AC adaptor. It also comes with a carrying case to hold it all. I use it all the time instead of my big bulky nebulizer. Hope that helps. It only takes about 10-15 minutes/treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerri and Geanna, thanks for the replies...I'll research both of those nebs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I've used a Pari Trek since 2004. ADVANTAGES: Faster than the larger compressor, lightweight and small, and can be hooked up to the car cigarette lighter and used with a battery. Allows me to have mobility (hikes, long car rides, etc.) that would otherwise be difficult. Easily available on ebay.
    DISADVANTAGES: The compressor only lasts about a year and then you need a new one, which means buying a whole new kit (I'm on my fourth). Slower when battery operated or when the compressor is wearing out. Design is clunky and not very ergonomic, especially if you have arthritis or neuropathy in your hands. Tubing is WAY too long and is prone to split at the attachment plugs at both ends. Check your insurance when buying a portable nebulizer - mine will cover the medication but NOT the nebulizer itself unless I can prove that my home has no electricity.
    Hope this helps.
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete